Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Help! Advice Please!

This week we decided that Kaydence should be done with bottles all together. She has only been having a bottle at night time for the last 6 months and that has worked out great. Her pediatrician said that he wanted us to keep giving her a bottle of rice milk at night because she is so small and he wanted to make sure that she is going to bed full to hopefully help her gain weight. Well, we haven't been able to take her to the doctor because we lost our insurance with Robs old job so we decided that she's 19 months old and we need to break the habit some time. Well, as you can imagine the past few nights have been a NIGHTMARE!! She screams and screams and won't fall asleep til late and wakes up in the middle of the night. We've tried giving her the rice milk, juice, and water in a sippy and nothing is working! I don't know what to do and I feel so guilty that I have to let her scream herself to sleep! Any ideas would be great...

5 comments:

Lucy said...

I wish that I had some great advice to offer you - but with MJ you are a step ahead of me!! I might try feeding her anything that she will take up until she goes to bed, solid or fluids. That way she goes to bed on a full stomach. I know MJ sleeps better when she is almost constantly eating the 2 hours before she goes down for the night.

Julie Williams said...

Good Luck! Sorry, but I don't have any words of wisdom. Trevor sleeps with a binky and I can't even imagine how he will be when we decide to take that away. It will probably be pretty close to how Kaydence is doing right now. Keep it up, it will get better-- and hopefully sooner than later!

Angie said...

Gosh, now I am nervous to take away Jensen's bottle! I took Blake's away when he turned 1 and he didn't care one bit. I don't know why I have let Jensen have his for so long! Good luck, and I will probably be coming to you for advice in the next little while!!!

REYNOLDS FAMILY said...

OH MY GOSH..I am sooo glad you posted this!! I have felt so guilty giving Abby a bottle to go to bed since she was about 6 months too and sad to say we just BARELY broke her of this habit a month ago!! IT IS HELL! I'm so sorry..we actually tried a bunch of things but what REALLY worked is we TOTALLY changed up her bedtime routine and we gave her a bottle with milk BEFORE BED while we red her stories, brush teeth, and then we BOTH tuck her in and say prayers IN HER ROOM..we also got her HOOKED on a blanket and we played it up to be the biggest deal and we always ask her where is is and yeah I know another "sleeping crutch" but oh well..so now she has to have her "BEE" to go to bed and you just have to let them cry. Super Nanny says there is no "convenient" time to stop the habit you just HAVE to be consistent! GOOD LUCK I feel your pain it is the worst to hear them cry at night but GOOD JOB on doing it now rather than when she is almost 2!!!!

Kellie Glade said...

If it makes you feel any better, Raegan is still taking two bottles at night. We have the same problem. She is so little and her pediatrician didn't seem to care that she was still taking a bottle at night. She gets a lot of calories that way. Our plan it to stop all bottles when she turns 2....which is in ONE week! Ahhh!!!! Let me know if you find anything that works. I'll do the same. Good luck!