Wednesday, March 14, 2012

All growed up!

I have been in desperate need of a fun project to do and decided that I would paint the kids toy room. I found a picture that I liked on pinterest and took Kaydence to pick out the paint colors that we were going to do it in. When we were buying paint she kept asking if the toy room could be her big girl room when we were done painting it...
Hmmmm. This got me thinking, we were going to have to move her downstairs before we had another baby because we only have the 2 rooms upstairs and what better time to do it than when she is begging us to let her and super excited about it. We've been putting it off because the thought of having her downstairs is kinda scary but we feel like she is big enough now that she always sleeps through the night and isn't afraid of anything. Her room is right below ours and you can seriously hear every word through the vents. We have our alarm system and plus, we hooked up the baby monitor so we can hear her if she wakes up. :)
Now, to the process of painting it. Felicity and I spent 2 hours taping all the lines. I decided that I didn't want them in any order, just random sizes. It looks super cute and was easier than having to measure each stripe perfectly. Then we painted the stripes in a color pattern, one color at a time. We worked on it for about 8 hours and got all the stripes painted.
Well, because the walls are textured the tape couldn't be flat in some places so it bled. The next day I had to go through and fix EVERY single stripe with a little detail brush to make them perfect. I know that sounds anal but we had already spent so much time on it that I wanted it to be perfect. This took me another 6 hours over 2 days.
Next, I painted the solid wall blue... decided I didn't like it, so I painted it pink... decided it made the room look too chaotic.... So, back to white it was. I have a habit of being indecisive and making everything harder on myself. LOL! This took me a whole other day to do. Adding up the hours. :)
Then I taped the shape of the tree and painted that. Followed by the adorable little owls that I am pretty proud of, if I do say so myself. He he. Kaydence says that they are her and Easton. Sooo cute, huh.
I re-painted the "wish upon a star" sign because it used to be pink but didn't match either pink that I had in there. Re-painted the headboard.
Hung up all the decor and WALLAH! Here is her cute big girl room....




View from the door




The butterflies snap onto little tacks to stick in the wall.

Dollhouse and closet

I couldn't resist this adorable painting!
Now, what project to tackle next.... :)

6 comments:

Elmer said...

That is adorable! I love all the colors. And what a brave girl to sleep downstairs. My parents moved me to the basement all by myself when I was in 1st grade, but I still slept upstairs for another 2 years or so. I'm such a wimp!

Julie Williams said...

I love it! It looks so great! What a great job you did...I am really impressed! You can come over to my house and paint anytime you need another project :)!

Kristy said...

You should go into business painting cute kids rooms. It is adorable :)

The Belshes said...

I absolutely love it!!! Mekenzie does too :) That is what we want to do this year, is get our kids rooms decorated!! Very nice job!!!!

Angie said...

Its adorable! Good job!

Krystal said...

So cute you did a really great job. What fun colors and love the tree and owls.